|Before- Rescued from the basement|
This DIY project is by far the most impressive one I have personally tackled, and it was easy! My grandmother had the sad chandelier pictured above in her basement for the last 10 plus years. I remembered it hanging in her living room during its glory days and brought it home to resuscitate it. I knew it had potential to be great again-my husband on the other hand wasn't so convinced. The arms were wayward and all the crystals were caked in dust and spiders but a little Windex, paint and time got this lighting back in shape.
We decided to only paint the metal so every inch of glass was carefully covered with plastic bags and all loose crystals were secured within. Once that painstaking process was complete we spray painted it white, 4 coats to be exact. Due to the pieces age some rust did come through so we needed additional coats to cover it. I then individually cleaned each crystal with Windex and made new hooks out of picture frame hanging wire for those that were missing them. At this point it was ready to be hung but we needed some additional hardware to attach it to the ceiling. We also needed additional convincing for my husband who was still not excited about having this in our home. Thankfully last Saturday was a lazy one and he was feeling handy and got to work hanging it, it's quite nice to have a hubby that knows how to do these things! For additional impact we added a ceiling medallion (very easy to install and cheap!) and guess what happened- we BOTH could not be happier with the outcome. Rather than buying a $300 chandelier we were able to rehab this one for less than 15 bucks! And it looks even better turned on so you'll have to come over and see it in person!